It seems that when I send a newsletter and people decided to unsubscribe, the statistic number for unsubscribes is always 0. I’ve ran a few test newsletters, the opened and clicked tracking all seem to work fine, but when I unsubscribe, it does not record it.
Hi, during lat code revision I noted a possible problem exactly in this functionality, probably you are confirming a problem exists in the tracing when the database is not correctly updated after a first installation or an upgrade.
Thank you for this report, I’ll add this check on top of our to do list.
Hi, is the wrong number is in the reports extension, I’ve just tested i and it is reporting the correct numbers in my blog. Are you testing the unsubscriptions using test subscriber which could be already unsubscribed?
Do you use the double step unsubscription (the unsubscription link leads to a page where there is the confirmation link)?
The reports are always showing 0 for unsubscribed in any “statistics” of any newsletter sent.
Yes, I am using the reports extension.
I have ran tests with both tests subscribers and real newsletters (I first noticed the error with a real newsletter to our real email list of customers). I have ran multiple tests and made sure the subscribers are subscribed before I tested the unsubscribe.
Yes, I use a double step unsubscription. I also have seen an error in a few of my tests where the unsubscribe confirmation page just says “no user found” instead of the “you have now been unsubscribed” goodbye page. This seems to be random though in my tests and I’ve always made sure my test was done with a confirmed subscriber email.