Home Forums Newsletter Plugin Support Set up WP Crontrol for Newsletter plugin

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    jonas-buehler
    Participant

Hi there

I recently sent out my first newsletter. Unfortunately, the e-mails went out very slowly, and my website was temporarily unavailable to visitors during sending.

Later, I discovered an error message on the Scheduler panel of the Newsletter plugin. It said that my cron system wasn’t triggered often enough. So I installed the WP Crontrol plugin.

WP Crontrol tells me everything is ok, and I can see a newsletter event, which should be triggered every 300 seconds. So everything seems fine.

However, the error message in the Newsletter Scheduler persists.

How can I mage this error message disappear? And will my site not crash again if the cron job works fine?

Best wishes
    Jonas

Michael
    Keymaster

Hello Jonas,

Wp Control actually does nothing to your cron system, apart from displaying the current active crons and other info. You should set up an external cron service, I encourage you to read this article, it should clarify many things on how cron works.

https://www.thenewsletterplugin.com/documentation/troubleshooting/newsletter-delivery-engine/

jonas-buehler
    Participant

Hi Michael

Thank you for your reply. I’ve already seen this article, and it doesn’t really help in my case. If I check site health, everything looks ok. WP Crontrol also tells me everything is ok. Even the single metrics on the Scheduler page of the Newsletter plugin tell me everything is ok. The only thing telling me something is off is the Scheduler parameter at the top of the page.

I now set up a cron job with my provider, which seems to work fine. But the Scheduler still tells me that the cron system isn’t triggered often enough. Can I just ignore this message by this point?

Best wishes
    Jonas

Michael
    Keymaster

Hello Jonas,

if you correctly set up a cron job with your provider then yes, you can safely ignore that message.

Thanks,
    Michael

Michael
    Keymaster

Hello Jonas,

can you please send me a full screenshot of the Scheduler page so I can check a couple of things? If you’re not able to send it here, you can email it at michael@thenewsletterplugin.com

Thanks,
    Michael

jonas-buehler
    Participant

Hi Michael

Yes, sure. I sent you the screenshots via e-mail.

Best wishes
    Jonas

Michael
    Keymaster

Hello Jonas,

I took a look at your screenshot and from the delay charts I can see there are delay spikes of more than 7000s. This is a clear symptom that the cron job isn’t set up properly. Please, try to switch to our own cron service at the link I sent you on the my first reply (see in particular “Activate our cron service”) and see if that solves your issues.

Michael

jonas-buehler
    Participant

Hi Michael

I contacted the support of my provider, and they helped me set up the cron job the right way. Now the spikes are a lot lower and the error message is gone.

Thank you for your help!

Best wishes
    Jonas

Michael
    Keymaster

Hello Jonas,
    you’re most welcome. Happy to see your issue solved!

Thanks,
    Michael

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.