Home Forums Newsletter Plugin Support Database error with Newsletter Plugin 3.7.8 on WP 4.2.1

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    fmphotosport
    Participant

Hi Stefano,
    after the last plugin update, I receive “Database Error”.
    Im using the PINT Theme

Thanks in advance,
    Felice

Stefano
    Keymaster

Hi, when this error is shown? While saving or creating the newsletter? Have you update from a recent version?

fmphotosport
    Participant

Hi Stefano,
    the error appear during the newsletter creation.
    Hope there’s a fix for this issue, because my website is an officiale Motorsport Magazine, and I need to send the latest news to my users.

Thanks,
    Felice

Stefano
    Keymaster

Hi, we just create few newsletter yesterday without issue. Could you please enter the diagnostic panel, enable the logging at debug level, try to create a newsletter and send me the log files you can find in wp-content/logs/newsletter?

Not sure the error can be found there… as last resource if you can give me an administrative access I can log the error directly during the newsletter creation. Nothing will happen to the blog during this test.

fmphotosport
    Participant

Hi Stefano,
    strange….today is working !!!
    I’ve successfully created and sent the newsletter.
    I didn’t received any error.

Bah….this is very strange. Anyway, thanks for you availability !!!

Cheers,
    Felice

dariojuergens
    Participant

Hi,

I get this problem as well. When I try to create a newsletter after the step where I can choose base color etc. for template (default) I get a “Database error.”.

Error log says:
    10-05-2015 13:06:52 – FATAL – 20,4 MB –
    10-05-2015 13:06:59 – FATAL – 20,4 MB –
    10-05-2015 13:09:04 – FATAL – 20,4 MB –
    10-05-2015 13:19:59 – FATAL – 20,4 MB –
    10-05-2015 13:23:46 – FATAL – 20,4 MB –

Do you have any idea?
    Thanks a lot!

Stefano
    Keymaster

Uh, the log isn’t reporting the actual error, very strange. Try to deactivate and reactivate the plugin. Eventually try to force an upgrade from the diagnostic panel.

dariojuergens
    Participant

Hum, thanks for your fast reply. But neither deact/act nor forcing an upgrade lead to functionality. Stil same error and even if I put Error reporting on DEBUG nothing else than the above appears in the log.

BR, Dario

Stefano
    Keymaster

Have you access to the error log of the server? Maybe there there is a better info. Otherwise I need an administrative access to change a plugin file to try to track the problem.

If you want to send me such access, write me privately at stefano@thenewsletterplugin.com.

Thank you, Stefano.

dariojuergens
    Participant

Thanks a lot, please check your inbox 🙂

fritsjan
    Participant

I have the same problem. However with some themes it gives no error and other themes it does.
    Especially with my own theme..
    Is there a way to see what is causing the error? The log is very basic and just says error…
    Is there a way for example to print out the database fail error…

fritsjan
    Participant

I edited store.php to show me the errors this is the result after inserting $wpdb->show_errors();

So it give no specific error ?

WordPress database error: []
    SHOW FULL COLUMNS FROM vki_newsletter_emails

Stefano
    Keymaster

Probably it’s a charset problem. Try to remove the characters with accents for example or be sure to work with an utf8 editor.

Stefano
    Keymaster

That error is perfectly compatible with (I think relatively) new internal encoding check by wordpress. I debugged the wordpress core and it refuses to proceed in the insert or update when there is a character encoding mismatch. Actually is not a mysql error, is wp blocking the execution.

Are you editing your theme in utf-8? That could be the problem.

dariojuergens
    Participant

When I had this problem, it turned out that only a “ü”, a German letter, in the edited theme was the problem. When I deleted that, the problem did not occur anymore.

BR; Dario

fritsjan
    Participant

It is because of strange characters in the blog texts like ‘t and é
    Is there a way to filter that out of the text?
    Or to make it able to save it again as is (because why not, it is already in the database…

I use:
    the_content()

for inserting the text

Stefano
    Keymaster

It gives not specific errors because the problem is not the database but WordPress which “decides” to not insert due to charset problems. I’m looking at it since I have no this problem on my blogs (and many other with different languages have not such problems).

fritsjan
    Participant

Hi Stefano,

First I would like to point out that I can’t view any replies anymore on your blog past the first page. This because the buttons to next page under the post are missing (only showing 12 posts).

Back on topic:
    Can this somehow be fixed? The articles/blog posts I have can be edited and saved in wordpress without any problems. But when using the same blog posts in the newsletter plugin, somehow it can’t anymore due to ‘strange characters’ in the same posts. This I find strange. Maybe it has to do with the type of table the newsletter is stored in? Or with the way it gets saved to the database?

Stefano
    Keymaster

Hi, looking deeply in the code of WP 4.2 I found that WP now does a check on the character that are in the way to be saved in the database, to block possible problems with 4 or more byte UTF-8 characters. It’s a technical question and yes, it’s strange that a post correctly saved to the database if then not correctly re-saved by newsletter.

Just a question: in the diagnostic panel there is some info by the system, specifically the “collate”: which value is reported in your system?

I’m looking even better the problem checking what WP does when saving and retrieving a post: maybe it convert back and forth the characters while we don’t do the same in newsletter.

fritsjan
    Participant

Hmm, I just did a quick test and with another theme I can save the same posts…
    Maybe something else is going on here.

The specific theme I am building now works when using just a few posts, does not work when using more than 5 posts.
    So it is also not because of characters in the theme itself.

Maybe it is because of the size of the newsletter? Is there a restriction on size for the database?
    This theme has a lot of css included in the header… (for pc, mobile, tablet…) making it maybe too large when also inserting too much posts?

Stefano
    Keymaster

Those problems should be solved with latest version where problematic characters are stripped away.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.